Sunday, March 3, 2013

When O'er My Sins I Sorrow {verse 2}

How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered! Psalm 32:1

When over my sins I sorrow, I think about the incredible gift of substitution. It is, indeed, a marvelous offering. Jesus, our Master, spares me and instead bears my suffering and grief upon Himself. God took His sinless Son and delivered Him for us all. Jesus should have been spared, not me! But God did not spare Him.

He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things?
Romans 8:32

Instead, Jesus went to the cross in MY place.

Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried; yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. Isaiah 53:4

God left His throne in heaven to come to earth as a man. Jesus, fully God and fully man, came to save the guilty. He took Himself to the cross and died, for me, who had already been counted guilty. He tasted death for everyone, so that I don't have to.

But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9

Jesus died the death that was mine to die. My response is thanksgiving - I will praise the One who took my place! And I will endeavor to be conformed to His death so that I may know Him and His sufferings, and the power of His resurrection.

That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:10-11

When O’er My Sins I Sorrow
Words by Jus­tus Ge­sen­i­us

When o’er my sins I sorrow,
Lord, I will look to Thee
And hence my comfort borrow
That Thou wast slain for me;
Yea, Lord, Thy precious blood was spilt
For me, O most unworthy,
To take away my guilt.


Oh, what a marvelous offering!
Behold, the Master spares
His servants, and their suffering
And grief for them He bears.
God stoopeth from His throne on high;
For me, His guilty creature,
He deigns as man to die.

My manifold transgression
Henceforth can harm me none
Since Jesus’ bloody passion
For me God’s grace hath won.
His precious blood my debts hath paid;
Of hell and all its torments
I am no more afraid.

Therefore I will forever
Give glory unto Thee,
O Jesus, loving Savior,
For what Thou didst for me.
I’ll spend my breath in songs of thanks
For Thy sad cry, Thy sufferings,
Thy wrongs, Thy guiltless death.

No comments: