Saturday, March 21, 2009

40 days of prayer: Day 22

But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; and suddenly there came a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison house were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were unfastened. Acts 16:25-26

Dear Almighty God, Ruler of Heaven and Earth,

I praise You that You can unfasten the chains that bind us. I praise You for Your mighty power over nature and all things created. I thank You for the way You moved in this story from the time of the early church, and its lessons for us today. I pray for all of those who today find themselves bound - in a prison not of walls necessarily but of sin. I pray for those who are imprisoned by their sin and ask that in Your mighty and holy power that You would release them from those chains. In Jesus' name I ask that You would bring glory to Yourself by freeing all of us who are in chains today. Send a mighty earthquake of Your power and grace, and shake us to our core, Lord. Unfasten the bonds that enslave us, and free us to serve You in Your Holy Spirit's power.

For Your glory I ask it,
Amen.