Monday, March 16, 2009

40 Days of prayer: Day 17

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29

Dear Almighty God,

I find myself so often falling short of your standard. Especially when it comes to speech, and the words that proceed from my mouth, I know I am not doing/saying what I should according to Your word's guidelines. So often what I say is hurtful, critical, or just plain unnecessary. Lord, I long to glorify You with my words. Guide me in Your truth that I may use my speech to edify those around me. Guide me so that what I say gives grace to those who hear, and direct me that I may speak only to the need of the moment. I know that this means I won't even have to speak in many situations.

I realize, humbly, that my voice does not need to be heard for the sake of being heard, for the sake of getting my point across. Lord, change my heart. Make me less important so that You are of first importance, and so that those around me are second in importance. Show me, Lord, when I need to hold my tongue. Help me to show love to others around me by NOT speaking.

I know I can only accomplish this in Your power.

For that I thank you and ask it in Your name,
Amen.

No comments: