Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Draw Me Closer, Lord, to Thee

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8

As the Lenten season begins today, I desire to draw close to God. I desire this more often than just in the Lenten season, at some times more strongly than others, but especially at this time, I find myself wanting to be quiet before the Lord and drawn close.

I want to be folded in His love.

See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. I John 3:1

I want Him to reveal to me all the riches of His grace.

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. Ephesians 1:7

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:4-7

I want him to mold my heart into His image.

For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. Romans 8:29-30

Through my closeness with my Father, I want Him to show me how He is refining me.

Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction. Isaiah 48:10

I want to be made complete in Him.

For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete. Colossians 2:9-10

My longing soul aspires to discover in Him all I yearn for and desire!

Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:25-26

During this season, I will devote myself to more fervent study of God's word, in addition to spending more time in prayer; both speaking but especially listening. My earnest prayer is that as I draw nearer to Him I might know Him more and that He would change me.

Join me here every day as I share my prayers of praise and supplication in my effort to draw near to Him. And I also pray for you, that as you contemplate Christ's atoning work on the cross and His triumphant resurrection, that you would draw near and feel His presence.


Draw Me Closer, Lord, to Thee
Words by Elisha Hoffman

Draw me closer, Lord, to Thee,
Fold me in Thy love’s embrace,
And unto my soul reveal
All the riches of Thy grace.

Refrain
Draw me closer, closer, closer,
Closer, Lord, to Thee;
Ever purer, purer, purer
Then my soul shall be.

Draw me closer, Lord, to Thee;
In Thy arms Thy child enfold,
And this earthly heart of mine
Into Thine own image mold.

Draw me closer, Lord, to Thee,
In communion rich and sweet,
Till my soul shall be refined,
And in Thee be made complete.

Draw me closer, Lord, to Thee,
For my longing soul aspires
To discover in Thyself
All it yearns for and desires.

No comments: