Friday, April 16, 2010

They Rise and Needs Will Have

I am so thankful that Jesus went cheerfully into His suffering; He obediently went to the cross to pay for my sins. Jesus knew what His death would mean for us - that we would be set free from our lives of sin. And He knew what was before Him and how He would suffer. He prayed to the Father, asking that He would be delivered, but praying according to God's will.

And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will." Matthew 26:39

God's will was for Jesus to go to the cross to reconcile us to Himself. Jesus humbled Himself in obedience.

Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Philippians 2:8

Our freedom was bought through His death. We were Christ's foes, as this hymn says. Paul tells the church of Ephesus the same thing -

Remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. Ephesians 2:12

Even so, while we were His enemies, Christ went to the cross to free us from our life of sin and death.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. Romans 8:2

Therefore, since the children share in flesh and blood, He Himself likewise also partook of the same, that through death He might render powerless him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and might free those who through fear of death were subject to slavery all their lives. Hebrews 2:14-15

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your humble obedience! Thank You that even though I was your enemy, You went to the cross and paid the price for my salvation and freedom.

My Song is Love Unknown

My song is love unknown,
My Savior’s love to me;
Love to the loveless shown,
That they might lovely be.
O who am I, that for my sake
My Lord should take, frail flesh and die?

He came from His blest throne
Salvation to bestow;
But men made strange, and none
The longed for Christ would know:
But O! my Friend, my Friend indeed,
Who at my need His life did spend.

Sometimes they strew His way,
And His sweet praises sing;
Resounding all the day
Hosannas to their King:
Then “Crucify!” is all their breath,
And for His death they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
He gave the blind their sight,
Sweet injuries! Yet they at these
Themselves displease, and ’gainst Him rise.

They rise and needs will have
My dear Lord made away;
A murderer they saved,
The Prince of life they slay,
Yet cheerful He to suffering goes,
That He His foes from thence might free.

No comments: