Monday, April 12, 2010

My Song is Love Unknown

This is a beautiful hymn for meditating on after Easter week. Truly, God's love for us is like nothing we've ever experienced, or will experience here on this Earth. Over the next many days, we'll look at each verse of this hymn as we contemplate our Father's love for us.

There is no love like the Savior's love to us, shown to us in His death on the cross.

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

He showed love to the loveless.

For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:6-8

Even when we didn't love Him, He loved us.

In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. I John 4:10

He loved us and saved us that we might become lovely, having the beauty of a clean heart.

If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. I John 1:6-9

Who am I?

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23

Remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. Ephesians 2:12

Who am I that for my sake my Lord should take frail flesh and die?

For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit. I Peter 3:18

Jesus, we thank You that You humbled Yourself and obediently went to the cross. Father, I thank You for Your love that sent Your Son to die on my behalf that I might be free from sin and reconciled to You. The love that You show me is truly unknown and I give You all the glory today for Your redemption plan that has saved a sinner like me. Amen.

My Song is Love Unknown
Words by Samuel Crossman

My song is love unknown,
My Savior’s love to me;
Love to the loveless shown,
That they might lovely be.
O who am I, that for my sake
My Lord should take, frail flesh and die?

He came from His blest throne
Salvation to bestow;
But men made strange, and none
The longed for Christ would know:
But O! my Friend, my Friend indeed,
Who at my need His life did spend.

Sometimes they strew His way,
And His sweet praises sing;
Resounding all the day
Hosannas to their King:
Then “Crucify!” is all their breath,
And for His death they thirst and cry.

Why, what hath my Lord done?
What makes this rage and spite?
He made the lame to run,
He gave the blind their sight,
Sweet injuries! Yet they at these
Themselves displease, and ’gainst Him rise.

They rise and needs will have
My dear Lord made away;
A murderer they saved,
The Prince of life they slay,
Yet cheerful He to suffering goes,
That He His foes from thence might free.

In life, no house, no home
My Lord on earth might have;
In death no friendly tomb
But what a stranger gave.
What may I say? Heav’n was His home;
But mine the tomb wherein He lay.

Here might I stay and sing,
No story so divine;
Never was love, dear King!
Never was grief like Thine.
This is my Friend, in Whose sweet praise
I all my days could gladly spend.

No comments: