Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sometimes they Strew His Way

When we think about the week leading up to Easter, the change in the people of Jerusalem is so stunning. On Sunday, they were singing "Hosanna!", and by Friday they were shouting "Crucify!"

Those who went in front and those who followed were shouting: "Hosanna!BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David; Hosanna in the highest!" Mark 11:9-10

And a few short days later:

But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to ask him to release Barabbas for them instead. Answering again, Pilate said to them, "Then what shall I do with Him whom you call the King of the Jews?" They shouted back, "Crucify Him!" But Pilate said to them, "Why, what evil has He done?" But they shouted all the more, "Crucify Him!" Mark 14:11-14

The same people who had welcomed Jesus as their King now called for Him to be hung on a cross and crucified.

Are we guilty of the same thing? Do we praise God when the crowd does, and go along with the same crowd when they sin and act in ways that are contrary to His will and command for us? Do we take for granted what Jesus did to purchase salvation for us?

It was my sin that sent Jesus to the cross. I don't ever want to forget that, and I want to live a life that reflects His love and God's powerful resurrection.

Today, I want to shout my praise and adoration to my King, the One who saved me by His death. I want to live in the freedom that He bought for me. I am not enslaved by sin and I choose to live righteously!

My Song is Love Unknown

My song is love unknown,
My Savior’s love to me;
Love to the loveless shown,
That they might lovely be.
O who am I, that for my sake
My Lord should take, frail flesh and die?

He came from His blest throne
Salvation to bestow;
But men made strange, and none
The longed for Christ would know:
But O! my Friend, my Friend indeed,
Who at my need His life did spend.

Sometimes they strew His way,
And His sweet praises sing;
Resounding all the day
Hosannas to their King:
Then “Crucify!” is all their breath,
And for His death they thirst and cry.

No comments: