Monday, April 30, 2012

I'll Count My Blessings, refrain

Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. Psalm 118:1

I’ll count my blessings
Count them o’er and o’er
I’ll tell my Father’s goodness
I will love Him more,
I’ll count my blessings, bountiful and free
Yet I can never count them all
So good is God to me!

The Lord's lovingkindness is everlasting, and His mercies are new every morning. I can count my blessings over and over because He has blessed me so richly!

I've been making a point lately to tell of my Father's goodness - to not keep everything to myself, but to openly acknowledge to myself and others, God's great goodness to me. From the small things to the big things, He is good - my faithful Creator is good to me!

How great is Your goodness, Which You have stored up for those who fear You, which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You, before the sons of men! Psalm 31:19

Certainly I love Him because of His great love for me - but there are new mercies every morning that cause me to love Him more: a bright sunshiny day, ducks waddling through the backyard, fresh strawberries, encouragement from His Word, a sweet phone call from a friend, safety in traffic, the privelege of pouring my heart out in prayer, knowing that my eternity is secure with Him.

The LORD’S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

I will count my blessings - they truly are bountiful and free - but this hymnwriter is so right - I can never count them all! God is so good to me!!

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory. Ephesians 1:3-14

Paul reminds us that God has blessed us with EVERY spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ! EVERY spiritual blessing. I could never count them all!

This beautiful passage in the letter to the church at Ephesus names just some of our blessings:
He chose us
He makes us holy and blameless
He predestined us
He adopted us
He freely bestowed His grace on us through Jesus
He redeemed us through Jesus' blodd
He forgives us
He lavishes grace upon us
He made known to us the mystery of his will
He gives us an inheritance
He has a purpose for us
He made us to bring Him glory
He sealed us with the Holy Spirit

What an amazing list! God is so good, He's so good to me.

I will count my blessings. Won't you join me?

I'll Count My Blessings
Words by Carrie Breck

I lift my heart today in praise
To Him who loves me so,
Whose mercy crowneth all my days,
And makes my cup overflow.
O have I loved Him as I should
For all His blessings free?
Praise God who giveth naught but good,
For He is good to me!


Refrain
I’ll count my blessings
Count them o’er and o’er
I’ll tell my Father’s goodness
I will love Him more,
I’ll count my blessings, bountiful and free
Yet I can never count them all
So good is God to me!

I thank Him for unclouded skies
For love beyond my ken
That when my path in shadow lies,
The sunshine comes again.
I thank Him for the hopes fulfilled
For every answered plea,
That though life was not all I willed,
My God is good to me!

I go to meet another year,
With faith no doubt can dim,
God reigneth, and I will not fear,
But trust my way with Him.
Then if that way be bright or dark,
Let peace unshaken be!
And let me, like the soaring lark,
Sing "God is good to me!"

No comments: