Friday, February 17, 2012

Who is He that Makes me Wise

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1:7

God's word tells us that fearing Him, and following His commands, make us wise.

Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever mine. Psalm 119:98

Teach me good discernment and knowledge, For I believe in Your commandments. Psalm 119:66

God makes us wise by teaching us through His word.

For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:6

Through His word, we not only receive His commands, but we see how Jesus lived, interacting with others, and obeying His Father, so we can emulate Him. I believe this is what the hymn writer had in mind as he penned this verse.

Who is He that makes me wise
To discern where duty lies?
Who is He that makes me true
Duty, when discerned to do,
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

When we look at Jesus Christ, we see the epitome of humbleness and obedience to God's will. Paul tells us that Christ is to be our example in this regard.

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Philippians 2:5-8

By looking at Jesus, we become wise and we can discern where our duty lies: it lies in obeying our Heavenly Father, just as Jesus did.

When we look at Jesus, we also see how to be true to the duty we have been called to do. When we discern how God is calling us to serve (our duty), we can look to Jesus for the example.

And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray, saying, “Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done.” Luke 21:41-42

Jesus was being sent to the cross by His Father. He petitioned His Father to "take this cup away" but He also said "Not My will, but Yours."

Jesus, a sinless man, asked to be relieved of His duty. We can certainly take our requests to our Father in prayer, but we must have the same request as Jesus: "not my will, but Yours." That is not always an easy prayer to pray. Most often, I want God's will to MATCH mine! But I look to Jesus, as my example, and see His obedience and submission to the Father. I know that my Savior, Jesus Christ the crucified, felt and experienced everything that I am facing. Because of this, I can confidently pray, like Jesus, "not my will, but Yours."

Look to Jesus! Follow His example, and grow in wisdom and discernment, so you may be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ.

And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ. Philippians 1:9-10

Ask Ye What Great Thing I Know
Words by Johann Schwedler

Ask ye what great thing I know,
That delights and stirs me so?
What the high reward I win?
Whose the name I glory in?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.


What is faith’s foundation strong?
What awakes my heart to song?
He who bore my sinful load,
Purchased for me peace with God,
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.


Who is He that makes me wise
To discern where duty lies?
Who is He that makes me true
Duty, when discerned to do,
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Who defeats my fiercest foes?
Who consoles my saddest woes?
Who revives my fainting heart,
Healing all its hidden smart?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Who is life in life to me?
Who the death of death will be?
Who will place me on His right,
With the countless hosts of light?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

This is that great thing I know;
This delights and stirs me so;
Faith in Him who died to save,
Him who triumphed over the grave:
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

No comments: