Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Who Defeats my Fiercest Foes

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. Psalm 138:7

Who defeats my fiercest foes?
Who consoles my saddest woes?
Who revives my fainting heart,
Healing all its hidden smart?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

For some reason, this verse really reminded me of the story of Lazarus. Jesus brought glory to God by raising Lazarus from the dead, even after he had been buried several days. By raising Lazarus, Jesus showed that He could defeat death, a foreshadowing of His own crucifixion and resurrection when He defeated death once and for all.

In this story, Jesus also shows us that He is the One who consoles. Mary and Martha, Lazarus' sisters, were saddened and woeful, and wondered why Jesus had delayed in coming; after all, He knew Lazarus was sick, but He waited several days, and by that time He was dead! Jesus consoled Mary and Martha and revived their fainting hearts. He reminded them that He is the Resurrection and the Life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?” She said to Him, “Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world.” John 11:25-27

Even when the hurt of our hearts is hidden, Jesus sees it and can heal it. We may be "smarting" on the inside while putting on a brave face to the world, but Jesus knows our hearts. Because He experienced everything that we have, He can sympathize in our weakness and in our hurts. We can turn to Him for the healing that we need, and rejoice in His power to be our Great Physicians, whether our hurts are physical or emotional.

Over the next 40 days, we will spend time in daily prayer drawing close to Jesus Christ, the Crucified. As we look forward to Good Friday and then Easter Sunday, we want to join with Jesus in His suffering so that we can share in His resurrection.

That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Philippians 3:10-11

Join me in drawing close so that you, too, can say, "Whose the name I glory in? Jesus Christ the Crucified."

Ask Ye What Great Thing I Know
Words by Johann Schwedler

Ask ye what great thing I know,
That delights and stirs me so?
What the high reward I win?
Whose the name I glory in?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.


What is faith’s foundation strong?
What awakes my heart to song?
He who bore my sinful load,
Purchased for me peace with God,
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.


Who is He that makes me wise
To discern where duty lies?
Who is He that makes me true
Duty, when discerned to do,
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Who defeats my fiercest foes?
Who consoles my saddest woes?
Who revives my fainting heart,
Healing all its hidden smart?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

Who is life in life to me?
Who the death of death will be?
Who will place me on His right,
With the countless hosts of light?
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

This is that great thing I know;
This delights and stirs me so;
Faith in Him who died to save,
Him who triumphed over the grave:
Jesus Christ, the Crucified.

No comments: