Monday, November 15, 2010

How Good it is to Thank the Lord

In everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. I Thess. 5:18

With Thanksgiving approaching, I want to take some time to reflect on how the Lord has blessed us and how we can show Him our gratitude. We'll look at this hymn based on Psalm 92, one verse at a time, and tune our hearts toward thanksgiving.

The Psalmist reminds us how good it is to thank the Lord and sing His praises.

It is good to give thanks to the LORD and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night, with the ten-stringed lute and with the harp, with resounding music upon the lyre. Psalm 92:1-3

Psalm 92 is not the only place giving thanks is mentioned. By my count, we are exhorted to "give thanks" in 37 different Psalms! In fact, in Psalm 106, the Psalmist pleads with God to be saved and brought together in order to give thanks!

Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the nations, to give thanks to Your holy name and glory in Your praise.
Psalm 106:47

It is GOOD to thank the Lord!

How good it is to thank the Lord,
And praise to Thee, Most High, accord,
To show Thy love with morning light,
And tell Thy faithfulness each night;
Yea, good it is Thy praise to sing,
And all our sweetest music bring.

I hope you feel God's love each morning with the morning light - for He has woken you up and given you breath for another day! And at the end of the day, we can tell of His faithfulness in leading us, giving us safety, giving us life, bringing us to the end of another day.

It IS good to sing His praise, to have an attitude of thanksgiving in everything He brings to us. It is not easy, but it IS possible! I challenge you, for the next day, to give thanks in everything, as Paul exhorts us in I Thessalonians (at the top of this post). I will be participating in this challenge as well, and I look forward to how God will change my heart because of it.

It is good to thank the Lord!

How Good it is To Thank the Lord
Words from the Psalter

How good it is to thank the Lord,
And praise to Thee, Most High, accord,
To show Thy love with morning light,
And tell Thy faithfulness each night;
Yea, good it is Thy praise to sing,
And all our sweetest music bring.

O Lord, with joy my heart expands,
Before the wonders of Thy hands;
Great works, Jehovah, Thou hast wrought,
Exceeding deep Thine every thought;
A foolish man knows not their worth,
Nor he whose mind is of the earth.

When as the grass the wicked grow,
When sinners flourish here below,
Then is there endless ruin nigh,
But Thou, O Lord, art throned on high;
Thy foes shall fall before Thy might,
The wicked shall be put to flight.

Thou, Lord, hast high exalted me
With royal strength and dignity;
With Thine anointing I am blest,
Thy grace and favor on me rest;
I thus exult o’er all my foes,
O’er all that would my cause oppose.

The righteous man shall flourish well,
And in the house of God shall dwell;
He shall be like a goodly tree,
And all his life shall fruitful be;
For righteous is the Lord and just,
He is my Rock, in Him I trust.

No comments: