Thursday, November 18, 2010

How Good it is To Thank the Lord, Part II

"Who is like You among the gods, O LORD? Who is like You, majestic in holiness, awesome in praises, working wonders?" Exodus 15:11

How are you doing in being thankful in all things? If I were to get a report card, I'm afraid it would say "needs improvement." I have asked the Lord to change my heart and give me an attitude of thanksgiving in all things; but it often comes down to a conscious choice; choosing to be thankful even when I don't think the situation warrants it.

I will say, though, that when I ponder and think about God's creation and His wondrous works in our world, my heart brims over with thanksgiving and praise to His name. I give Him glory for His creativity, goodness and love. I never tire of the changing seasons, the amazing animals, plants and life systems in our Universe, even the rain, snow and hot sun, as it shows forth His sovereignty and control of our world.

Indeed, He has wrought great works, as this hymn tells us.

Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name; make known His deeds among the peoples. Sing to Him, sing praises to Him; speak of all His wonders. Glory in His holy name; let the heart of those who seek the LORD be glad. I Chronicles 16:8-10

I was thinking about this hymn as I heard some things on the news last night. It is evident in stories around us that the foolish man knows not the worth of God's wonders and His thoughts. Nor, the man whose mind is of the earth. As we put on the new self (our life in Christ), we are called to keep our eyes on things above and not get mired up in the things of earth.

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Colossians 3:1

As I come before Him today with thankfulness for His wonders and the works He has wrought with His hands, I want to join Eliphaz in his exhortation to seek God who does great and unsearchable things. Because of our great Savior, the helpless have hope and unrighteousness shuts it mouth. Hallelujah! Thank you, Lord!

"But as for me, I would seek God, and I would place my cause before God; Who does great and unsearchable things, wonders without number. He gives rain on the earth and sends water on the fields, so that He sets on high those who are lowly, and those who mourn are lifted to safety. He frustrates the plotting of the shrewd, so that their hands cannot attain success. He captures the wise by their own shrewdness, and the advice of the cunning is quickly thwarted. By day they meet with darkness, and grope at noon as in the night. But He saves from the sword of their mouth, and the poor from the hand of the mighty. So the helpless has hope, and unrighteousness must shut its mouth." Job 5:8-16

How Good it is To Thank the Lord
Words from the Psalter

How good it is to thank the Lord,
And praise to Thee, Most High, accord,
To show Thy love with morning light,
And tell Thy faithfulness each night;
Yea, good it is Thy praise to sing,
And all our sweetest music bring.


O Lord, with joy my heart expands,
Before the wonders of Thy hands;
Great works, Jehovah, Thou hast wrought,
Exceeding deep Thine every thought;
A foolish man knows not their worth,
Nor he whose mind is of the earth.

When as the grass the wicked grow,
When sinners flourish here below,
Then is there endless ruin nigh,
But Thou, O Lord, art throned on high;
Thy foes shall fall before Thy might,
The wicked shall be put to flight.

Thou, Lord, hast high exalted me
With royal strength and dignity;
With Thine anointing I am blest,
Thy grace and favor on me rest;
I thus exult o’er all my foes,
O’er all that would my cause oppose.

The righteous man shall flourish well,
And in the house of God shall dwell;
He shall be like a goodly tree,
And all his life shall fruitful be;
For righteous is the Lord and just,
He is my Rock, in Him I trust.

No comments: