Sunday, November 21, 2010

How Good it is To Thank the Lord, Part III

For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. Psalm 1:6

Remember that we have been called to be thankful in all things, for this is God's will for us in Christ Jesus. It is especially difficult to be thankful when we see evil flourishing all around us and the wicked prospering before our eyes. It's difficult to understand, but if you've read through the Bible, you know that this is nothing new. Generation after generation has dealt with seeing evil prosper.

When I get discouraged about the evil in the world, the sin running rampant, the endless ruin - I do turn to God in thanksgiving for the truth I know to be rock solid - God is still on His throne.

God reigns over the nations, God sits on His holy throne. Psalm 47:8

One of my favorite verses in all of hymnody is this verse from "This is my Father's world."

This is my Father’s world, O let me ne’er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father’s world: the battle is not done!
Jesus Who died shall be satisfied,
And earth and Heav’n be one.

Even though the wrong seems strong, GOD IS THE RULER! He is still on the throne. The battle is not done! Jesus, who paid the price for all this sin, will be satisifed - earth and heaven will be one!

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." Revelation 21:1-4

We have a new heaven and new earth to look forwarde to, a place where righteousness dwells.

But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. II Peter 3:13

Come before Him with thanksigiving - for God is on the throne, and righteousness will reign!

How Good it is To Thank the Lord
Words from the Psalter

How good it is to thank the Lord,
And praise to Thee, Most High, accord,
To show Thy love with morning light,
And tell Thy faithfulness each night;
Yea, good it is Thy praise to sing,
And all our sweetest music bring.


O Lord, with joy my heart expands,
Before the wonders of Thy hands;
Great works, Jehovah, Thou hast wrought,
Exceeding deep Thine every thought;
A foolish man knows not their worth,
Nor he whose mind is of the earth.


When as the grass the wicked grow,
When sinners flourish here below,
Then is there endless ruin nigh,
But Thou, O Lord, art throned on high;
Thy foes shall fall before Thy might,
The wicked shall be put to flight.

Thou, Lord, hast high exalted me
With royal strength and dignity;
With Thine anointing I am blest,
Thy grace and favor on me rest;
I thus exult o’er all my foes,
O’er all that would my cause oppose.

The righteous man shall flourish well,
And in the house of God shall dwell;
He shall be like a goodly tree,
And all his life shall fruitful be;
For righteous is the Lord and just,
He is my Rock, in Him I trust.

No comments: