Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I Sing the Mighty Power of God

For the LORD is a great God and a great King above all gods, in whose hand are the depths of the earth, the peaks of the mountains are His also. The sea is His, for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land.

Come, let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand.
Psalm 95:3-7

As I concentrate on worship in this New Year, this hymn springs immediately to mind. All the plants and flowers below make His glories known! What an awesome creator we have. We certainly have much to sing about His power!

In Job 38, we get a glimpse of God’s power as He shows Job that He is God and Job is not. Think about all these examples and how they portray God’s mighty power in creation and in our lives.

Have you ever in your life commanded the morning, and caused the dawn to know its place?

Have you entered into the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?

Have you entered the storehouses of the snow or have you seen the storehouses of the hail, which I have reserved for the time of distress, for the day of war and battle?

Can you lead forth a constellation in its season, and guide the Bear with her satellites?

Do you know the ordinances of the heavens, or fix their rule over the earth?

Who has put wisdom in the innermost being or given understanding to the mind?

Can you hunt the prey for the lion, or satisfy the appetite of the young lions, when they crouch in their dens and lie in wait in their lair?

Who prepares for the raven its nourishment when its young cry to God and wander about without food?

We have a mighty God who created our beautiful world, commands the sun and the moon, rules over the stars, created everything that has life on this Earth, and provides food for His creatures and His people. AND, to top it all off, everything that He created is in His care! His wonders, too many to count, are displayed wherever we turn.

Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; there is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, they would be too numerous to count. Psalm 40:5

God in His mighty power is present anywhere that we can be. Isn’t that reassuring?

Where can I go from Your Spirit or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend to heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even there Your hand will lead me, and Your right hand will lay hold of me. Psalm 129:7-10

Today I praise God for His mighty power. And I thank Him for my mother-in-law, who, in her service of the King, leads people each week in singing the mighty power of God. Happy Birthday Mom S.! You are loved.

I Sing the Mighty Power of God
Words by Isaac Watts

I sing the mighty power of God, that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at God’s command, and all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food,
Who formed the creatures through the Word, and then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where’er I turn my eye,
If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.

There’s not a plant or flower below, but makes Thy glories known,
And clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care;
And everywhere that we can be, Thou, God art present there.

No comments: