Monday, October 29, 2007

In the Service of the King

Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God. Romans 15:17

As Christians, we are called to serve. We are God’s servants here on Earth, and we are to be in service to one another.

…through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." Gal. 5:13-14

God has enabled us to serve by giving each one of us special gifts. When you are serving God in the way He has gifted you, you will be able to say along with this hymn writer, “I am happy in the service of the King, I have peace and joy that nothing else can bring.”

As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. I Peter 4:10

We have these gifts, and they must be employed in our service to one another. I don’t think you’ll have to look far to see where your gifts could be used in service to others. I’m sure many of us have opportunities to serve each and every day – and we are called to take advantage of these opportunities and show God’s love through our service.

Jesus Christ is our example of service. Two examples of His service to His disciples include washing their feet (John 13:5) and cooking them breakfast (John 21:2). He also exhorted them to follow His example and serve others.

You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. John 13:13-15

Of course, His greatest example of service is that He gave His life for us. He came to this Earth to serve.

Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant; and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. Matt. 20:26-28

Take some time today to consider how you can serve, how Christ would use you as a instrument of His love and grace in someone else’s life. I thank my father-in-law for his great example of service – he is quick to help a neighbor, colleague or someone who goes to his church. He doesn’t tire in service to others – through which he is serving God.

Happy Birthday, Dad S. You are loved.

Serve the LORD with gladness; come before Him with joyful singing. Know that the LORD Himself is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 100:2-3


In the Service of the King
Words by Alfred H. Ackley

I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
I have peace and joy that nothing else can bring,
In the service of the King.

Refrain
In the service of the King
Every talent I will bring.
I have peace and joy and blessing
In the service of the King.

I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
Through the sunshine and the shadow I can sing,
In the service of the King.

I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
To His guiding hand forever I will cling,
In the service of the King.

I am happy in the service of the King.
I am happy, O so happy!
All that I possess to Him I gladly bring,
In the service of the King.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder, Sara! "All that I possess to Him I gladly bring" may that be true of me.