Tuesday, January 8, 2008

God Leads Us Along

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. II Cor. 2:14

I became familiar with this hymn when it was sung at my paternal grandfather’s funeral, 25 years ago. When I heard it at 10 years old, I didn’t have the life experience to know what comfort and encouragement I would find in this hymn as I totally rely on God’s leading in my life, even as He leads through the waters and the flood.

This hymn reminds me of one of my favorite promises in Scripture, when God promises His people that although they may suffer, He will not allow them to be overcome by the waters or the fire.

But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, and He who formed you, O Israel, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. Isaiah 43:1-3

I love imagining God saying this TO ME, and hearing Him say “I have called you by name; you are Mine!” Our God, our Creator, promises us that we will not be overcome by our trials. He will be with us! For He is the Lord our God!

Ginny Owens, a contemporary Christian artist, wrote these words in her song, “If You Want Me To.” They provide another great look into how God will lead us along, even in the midst of difficulty.

The pathway is broken
And the signs are unclear
And I don’t know the reason why you brought me here
But just because You love me the way that You do
I will go through the valley
If You want me to

Now I'm not who I was
When I took my first step
And I'm clinging to the promise
You're not through with me yet
So if all of these trials bring me closer to You
I will go through the fire
If You want me to

We can walk through these times as God calls us to, because He has called us to, and because we have assurance that He is in control. He is using these times in our lives to further refine and sanctify us, making us into the image of His son. Because of this, we can have a song in our night – even if that night is a season in our life and not just a 8-12 hour period. God will give us a song, and we can rejoice because of His promise.

The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; and His song will be with me in the night. Psalm 42:8

God Leads Us Along
Words by George A. Young

In shady, green pastures, so rich and so sweet,
God leads His dear children along;
Where the water’s cool flow bathes the weary one’s feet,
God leads His dear children along.

Refrain
Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood;
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song,
In the night season and all the day long.

Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright,
God leads His dear children along;
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night,
God leads His dear children along.

Though sorrows befall us and evils oppose,
God leads His dear children along;
Through grace we can conquer, defeat all our foes,
God leads His dear children along.

Away from the mire, and away from the clay,
God leads His dear children along;
Away up in glory, eternity’s day,
God leads His dear children along.

No comments: