Thursday, February 26, 2009

40 days of prayer: Day 2

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Hebrews 12:1-3

Dear Lord,

Oh, how I want to run with endurance the race you have set before me. I pray that you would guide my eyes and keep them fixed on You. I thank You for enduring the cross for me, and I ask that You would give me the same perspective - that I may endure my daily struggles in light of the joy that is set before me - my relationship with You and my eternal home. Thank You for being my example - You suffered much more hostility than I ever have, even when I think that "it cannot get worse" - I know that you suffered more than I have. Strengthen me Jesus, and encourage me. I don't want to grow weary and lose heart; for you are my Rock, and my salvation, my deliverer, and my friend.

In Your precious name I ask it,
Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful prayer. It brings back sweet memories of our small group times of prayer. How meaningful that time was early in our marriage. I had been meaning to post that verse by our treadmill. That is our lenten discipline, to exercise every night after we put the kids to bed.
Thanks to you I just printed it out to post tomorrow.