Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lenten Reflections: The Supremacy of Christ

God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they. Hebrews 1:1-4

As I read in Hebrews this morning, I was again struck by the supremacy of Christ. I was overwhelmed when I considered that Jesus was appointed heir of all things, and that through Him the world was made. I was awestruck to remember that He upholds everything by the word of His power. And then I read more. This same Jesus is my high priest! And He can sympathize with me and with my weaknesses. When I am feeling insufficient, I only have to rely on Him who not only sympathizes with my weaknesses, but fills them up with His power. And it's all for the asking! The writer of Hebrews reminds us that we can go CONFIDENTLY to the throne of grace to find mercy in our time of need. That is good news, friends! Jesus, through whom the world was created, in whom all fulness of Deity dwells in human form, the One who holds all things together, invites us to approach him with confidence to find grace when we need it! Rejoice in that gift today. And rejoice in our Savior!

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

No comments: