Sunday, May 1, 2011

Saved by the Blood

There's a song that we sing at church called "Oh the Blood" - we sang it on Good Friday and we sang it again today. I can't stop singing it, the words and tune just pop into my head most mornings and I can't let it go. ...what a sacrifice, that saved my life, yes the blood, it is my victory!

Jesus' death on the cross - and the blood that ensued - covered my sin. We know that he really did shed blood from the account in the gospel of John.

But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. John 19:34

It's that blood, drawn from His side, that saves! Hallelujah for redemption so free!

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us. Ephesians 1:7

But the story doesn't end with Jesus' death and shed blood that brings us redemption and forgiveness. He conquered the grave and He lives again!

Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave. And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. And his appearance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. The guards shook for fear of him and became like dead men. The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid; for I know that you are looking for Jesus who has been crucified. He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said. Come, see the place where He was lying. Go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead; and behold, He is going ahead of you into Galilee, there you will see Him; behold, I have told you." Matthew 28:1-7

The blood that Jesus shed for us saves us, and we are also sealed by its power.

Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, who also sealed us and gave us the Spirit in our hearts as a pledge. II Cor. 1:21-22

In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation--having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God's own possession, to the praise of His glory. Ephesians 1:13-14

When we trust in Christ through faith, and accept His free gift of salvation, we receive the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is given to us as a pledge - a promise - that we are God's. Through the blood of Christ we have been redeemed, and we will be redeemed as one of His, to be a part of God's new heaven and new earth.

This blood is life to the soul - truly, it is our victory! Because in my sin, yes even then, Christ shed His blood for me.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Jesus' shed blood gives me life - and gives me hope. I have hope because I am His and I know my future is secure with Him. I have been brought near because of His work on my behalf.

Remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:12-13

Before Jesus, I had no hope! But His blood has brought me near! Talk about a victory! And one that I had no part in - while I was separate from Him, it was Christ and His love for me that offered His life so that I would have life and hope.

He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:5-7

My sin is covered by His blood. I am washed, made white as snow, by Christ's sacrifice. His blood is available, even to the vilest of sinners. Every one can know His love, poured out through His blood, and be washed clean. I am so thankful that I will be a part of the story as prophesied in Revelation, and I want you to be part of it, too! If you haven't accepted Jesus' free gift of salvation, if you haven't asked for your sins to be covered by His blood, won't you do so today?

Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, "These who are clothed in the white robes, who are they, and where have they come from?" I said to him, "My lord, you know." And he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. For this reason, they are before the throne of God; and they serve Him day and night in His temple; and He who sits on the throne will spread His tabernacle over them. They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:13-20

Saved by the Blood
Words by Fanny Crosby

We’re saved by the blood
That was drawn from the side
Of Jesus our Lord,
When He languished and died.

Refrain
Hallelujah to God,
For redemption so free;
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Dear Savior, to Thee.

O yes, ’tis the blood
Of the Lamb that was slain;
He conquered the grave,
And He liveth again.

We’re saved by the blood;
We are sealed by its power;
’Tis life to the soul,
And is hope every hour.

That blood is a fount
Where the vilest may go
And wash till their souls
Shall be whiter than snow.

We’re saved by the blood,
Hallelujah again;
We’re saved by the blood,
Hallelujah, Amen.

No comments: