Monday, May 16, 2011

Are We Weak and Heavy Laden?

Our hymn writer continues his use of the "rhetorical" question in this verse, inviting us to contemplate how we are living and behaving in light of our circumstances. I know I often feel weak and heavy laden, and I'm sure if you don't right now, you have in the past, or you will in the future. If you are burdened with a load of care, there is one remedy: take it to the Lord in prayer.

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. I Peter 5:6-7

You can cast your anxiety onto your Heavenly Father, because He cares for you. He wants to help you bear your burdens.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS." Matthew 11:28-29

You can trust in Him at all times and pour out your heart before Him.

Trust in Him at all times, O people; Pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Psalm 62:8

Our precious Savior is our refuge! We can run to Him when we need comfort; it is good for us to be near to Him!

But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Your works. Psalm 73:28

When we take refuge in Him we are blessed. When we are in fellowship with Him, we can experience what the Psalmist did - feeling with all our senses that the Lord is good!

O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! Psalm 34:8

It is especially important for us to take refuge in Him when we are forsaken or despised by those we love here on earth. We can run to Him for refuge, knowing that He has too experienced being despised and forsaken.

He was despised and forsaken of men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; and like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him. Isaiah 53:3

It is such an encouragement to me to know that I am praying to the One who has felt what I am feeling and who has experienced all the things I am going through.

For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Hebrews 4:15

And it is even more encouraging to remember His promise that He will never leave me nor forsake me.

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you." Deuteronomy 31:6

I know Him, and I will put my trust in Him!

And those who know Your name will put their trust in You, for You, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You. Psalm 9:10

Sinful people here on Earth will disappoint us and despise us. That's just a fact of life. Even King David experienced that by his own mother and father!

For my father and my mother have forsaken me, but the LORD will take me up. Psalm 27:10

But King David knew where to turn. He knew that with God, he would not have to be afraid.

He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" Hebrews 13:5-6

He knew that God is His protector and would shield him.

But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head. Psalm 3:3

When we run to Him with our cares and burdens, we will be shielded by His arms, and find solace there.

The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2

And we have a wonderful promise from the One who is our shield.

For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD gives grace and glory; no good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly. Psalm 84:11

Are you weak and heavy laden today? Cast your cares on the One who can lift Your head, feel Your pain, and dry your tears. Take it to the Lord in prayer!

What a Friend We Have in Jesus
Words by Joseph Scriven

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.


Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.


Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

No comments: