Saturday, May 12, 2007

Search Me, O God

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139: 23-24

I worked in my flower areas today pulling weeds. (It would be a stretch to call it a garden or even a flower bed, so I just call it an “area.”) It was a big job and I’m still not done. But it gave me a lot of time to think, and as I got frustrated that the weeds seem to grow more and more each year, I had a sort of revelation: maybe the weeds come back so prolifically because in the past I only pulled at the tops of the weeds and left the root there.

This got me thinking about sin. We are all sinners. But we have a choice in how much we let sin take root in our lives. Sometimes I get frustrated because I feel like I’ve been “working” at ridding myself of a sin, and it turns out I’ve only been pulling at the top of it, instead of getting the root of the sin out of my life. When the root is still there, the sin can grow and grow, and take over the whole “garden” of my life, much like the weeds have in my flower areas.

I must be diligent to keep sin from rooting in my heart and mind. I must rely on the Holy Spirit to convict me of sin, and to show me the errors in my life. And I must have ears to listen, eyes to see, and a humble heart to respond to the Spirit’s leading.

Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness; according to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Psalm 51:1-3

Search Me, O God
Words by J. Edwin Orr

Search me, O God,
And know my heart today;
Try me, O Savior,
Know my thoughts, I pray.
See if there be
Some wicked way in me;
Cleanse me from every sin
And set me free.

I praise Thee, Lord,
For cleansing me from sin;
Fulfill Thy Word,
And make me pure within.
Fill me with fire
Where once I burned with shame;
Grant my desire
To magnify Thy Name.

Lord, take my life,
And make it wholly Thine;
Fill my poor heart
With Thy great love divine.
Take all my will,
My passion, self and pride;
I now surrender, Lord
In me abide.

O Holy Ghost,
Revival comes from Thee;
Send a revival,
Start the work in me.
Thy Word declares
Thou wilt supply our need;
For blessings now,
O Lord, I humbly plead.

No comments: