Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rock of Ages, Cleft for ME

This is a hymn that many of us could sing by heart, at least the first verse. And again, this is a hymn we may have sung and not really paid close attention to the words: words that are rich with theology and personal application.

Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. So the soldiers came, and broke the legs of the first man and of the other who was crucified with Him; but coming to Jesus, when they saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs. But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. John 19:31-34

We are offered salvation through Jesus’ sacrifice of Himself on the cross. When we believe, by faith, that Jesus is God’s son and that He died on the cross in our place, we are saved: saved from our life of sin, and saved from God’s wrath.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. Romans 5:8-9

As the writer of Hebrews says, it is a terrifying thing to fall into the hands of the living God (10:31).

We can be assured that we are spared God’s wrath because of Jesus’ atoning work.

But there’s more!

Jesus’ blood makes us pure! It washes away our sins, making us white as snow, taking away our guilt and shame, and replacing it with righteousness. Righteousness that we have ONLY because of Christ, for we know that we are not righteous on our own.

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. II Cor 5:21

Not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faithPhil 3:9

Jesus’ sacrifice of Himself on the cross, the water and blood that poured from His side, is “of sin the double cure”! Hallelujah!

In the second verse we are reminded that there is nothing we can do to earn our salvation or to pay for our sins. It doesn’t matter how hard we work, how much zeal we have, or how much we cry!

“Thou must save and Thou alone.”

I am so thankful that it’s not about me and what I can do to atone for my sin – I could never do it!

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God… Ephesians 2:8

We are all sinful people, and our sin separates us from God. Unless we accept the gift of Jesus’ sacrifice for our sins, and are washed by His cleansing blood, we will die. After our physical death, we will face eternal separation from God. The great news is that each one of us can be washed clean in the fountain and be forgiven for our sins. There is nothing we can offer God in exchange for this gift – we can only cling to His cross and receive His forgiveness, and enter into a restored relationship with Him.

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only this, but we also exult in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. Romans 5:10-11

For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven. Colossians 1:19-20

Jesus, our Rock, who was cleft (this word literally means to divide by striking a blow) on the cross for us, offers us salvation, the only way to have a right relationship with God and an eternal home with Him.

If you haven’t accepted His gift, will you, in faith, accept it today?

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.” John 14:6

Rock Of Ages
Words by Augustus M. Toplady

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

No comments: