Friday, January 5, 2007

Be Still My Soul, Part I

You can see that there is a theme in my meditations for the New Year, if you hadn’t detected it already. The New Year provides a good opportunity to look back and see what the Lord has done, and look forward to a future directed by Him. I hope you can join me in saying “thus far the LORD has helped us.”

There is so much comfort in “Be Still my Soul.” In this hymn there are so many reminders of God’s faithfulness, sovereignty and love for His children. (I have so many things to say about this hymn, and it is so rich with truth, that I will be posting on it one verse at a time.)

This hymn also reminds us that we are to be still. For me, that’s very hard. Hard because I want to be in control of what’s going on in my life. Hard because I don’t like to wait. Hard because I can’t see the big picture.

I was reminded of this again last night when singing “Have Thine Own Way, Lord” – the first verse says

Mold me and make me, after Thy will
While I am waiting, yielded and still.


It hit me: we can only be molded and made after His will if we are still. A potter can’t work with clay that is jumping around, trying to become a pot on its own. (I know that clay can’t really do this, but it worked as an illustration for me!) I can only be molded by God if I am yielded to His work in my life. This means waiting, and being still.

The remarkable thing is, we can be sure that while we are being still, God is at work! At work to make us into the image of His Son, at work to change our hearts and align us with His will – and in every change, He will remain faithful! He is faithful in leading us through the thorns and to a joyful end, making us perfect and complete.

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4

Be Still My Soul
Words by Katharina A. von Schlegel

Verse 1:
Be still my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara,

I love these old hymns. They are almost lost forever as most churches do not use them any longer. I am praying we will sing them again before the throne.

Anonymous said...

"Have Thine Own Way" is such an old favorite of mine. And I really like the Selah version of "Be Still My Soul". Keep praying and holding on one step, one day at a time, my sister in Christ, and God will bring you that joy. The Lord is on your side.