Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Jesus! What a Guide and Keeper!

I often wonder how people who don't know the Lord can manage in this world of ours. I am so reassured by the fact that Jesus is my guide! He leads me in the way I should go, and I can count on Him to be a faithful guide. And I love what Scripture tells us: that He leads me and guides me FOR HIS NAME'S SAKE!

For You are my rock and my fortress; For Your name’s sake You will lead me and guide me. Psalm 31:3

In this dark world of sin, it can sometimes seem like we can't walk by ourselves. It can be easy to become undone. But God has a promise for us - He will guide us! He will make darkness into light and the rugged places into plains.

“I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, in paths they do not know I will guide them. I will make darkness into light before them and rugged places into plains. These are the things I will do, and I will not leave them undone.” Isaiah 42:16

Think about rugged places versus plains. Rugged places require climbing - and probably vigorous climbing. They require great care so your feet and hands don't slip. They are dangerous. Plains are wide open spaces that are flat - you can skip along freely without being afraid of falling. Our promise from our Savior is that He will guide us and make the dangerous, scary, rugged places into plains - similar to another promise in Isaiah that He will make our "paths straight."

Jesus, when He was here on earth, was a guide to His followers. But He knew that He had to fulfill His Father's plan, and that we would need a more "permanent" guide. Of course, the Father had already worked this out! Jesus told His followers that a new helper would come and would guide us in all the truth.

But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. John 16:13

And the promise to guide doesn't end with our earthly life! When we live eternally with our Lord in heaven, He will still be guiding us!

"They will hunger no longer, nor thirst anymore; nor will the sun beat down on them, nor any heat; for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes." Revelation 7:16-17

God is our guide even when the storms are around and the high winds blow. And the best part? He's a guide who hears us! The Bible is full of stories of God hearing His people, and we can be assured that when we cry for help, He hears!

In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried to my God for help; He heard my voice out of His temple, and my cry for help before Him came into His ears. Ps 18:6

We know that Jesus is our high priest who can sympathize with us, and I love this example. He hears our cries, because He knows what it's like to cry out! When He was in the garden, He cried out to His Father, and He was heard.

In the days of His flesh, He offered up both prayers and supplications with loud crying and tears to the One able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His piety. Heb 5:7

What promises we have from our God! Join me in rejoicing over Jesus, our Guide, Keeper and hearer of our cries.

Jesus! What a Friend for Sinners!
Words by J. Wilbur Chapman

Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.


Refrain
Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Jesus! what a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.


Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.


Jesus! what a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.

Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find.
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.

No comments: