Thursday, June 21, 2012

I Will Tell the Wondrous Story

And the ransomed of the LORD will return and come with joyful shouting to Zion, with everlasting joy upon their heads. They will find gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. Isaiah 35:10

I will tell the wondrous story how Christ came to save my lost estate. This is the reason Jesus came to earth - to save those who are lost!

For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost. Luke 19:10

Jesus, because of His great love for us, freely gave His life up for me, paying the ransom to save me from death.

The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many. Matthew 20:27

This idea of paying the ransom did not originate with Christ - we see many examples in the Old Testament of "ransoming" - paying to free someone or something from death. God uses these examples in the life of His chosen people to point them to the Savior who would come to ransom them from their sin - saving them from death.

If a man's animal killed a person, that man was sentenced to death. However, he could pay a ransom to redeem himself and save himself from death.

If, however, an ox was previously in the habit of goring and its owner has been warned, yet he does not confine it and it kills a man or a woman, the ox shall be stoned and its owner also shall be put to death. If a ransom is demanded of him, then he shall give for the redemption of his life whatever is demanded of him. Exodus 21:29-30

Jesus paid our ransom! He went to the cross and died in my place so that I could live.

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time. Timothy 2:5-6

I will sing of my Redeemer!

I Will Sing of my Redeemer
Words by Philip Bliss

I will sing of my Redeemer,
And His wondrous love to me;
On the cruel cross He suffered,
From the curse to set me free.


Refrain
Sing, oh sing, of my Redeemer,
With His blood, He purchased me.
On the cross, He sealed my pardon,
Paid the debt, and made me free.


I will tell the wondrous story,
How my lost estate to save,
In His boundless love and mercy,
He the ransom freely gave.

I will praise my dear Redeemer,
His triumphant power I’ll tell,
How the victory He giveth
Over sin, and death, and hell.

I will sing of my Redeemer,
And His heav’nly love to me;
He from death to life hath brought me,
Son of God with Him to be.

No comments: