Sunday, June 12, 2011

Dwell in Me, O Blessed Spirit

I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.
John 14:16-17

Today is Pentecost Sunday, the day we celebrate God sending His Holy Spirit, another helper, to indwell believers. If you've never read the account of Pentecost, I urge you to do so. You can find it in Acts 2.

When I found this hymn by Fanny Crosby, I immediately identified with it. I need the Spirit's divine help and I want to feel His sacred presence. But what does it mean to have the Spirit dwell in us? And what difference does that make in our lives?

The Scripture gives us many promises about the Holy Spirit. As you meditate on these today, take time to thank God for the gift of His Holy Spirit and ask God for His grace that you may more fully rely on Him.

The Spirit, our Counselor, guides us in the way we should go.

Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:10

The Spirit gives us power to be God's witnesses on earth. Jesus promised this to His disciples immediately before He was taken up to heaven.

He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth.” And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. Acts 1:7-9

He prays for us! (I find this one especially encouraging and comforting. When I don't know how to pray, the Spirit intercedes for me. And He intercedes according to the will of God.)

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. Romans 8:26-27

The Spirit sets us free from sin.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. Romans 8:2

He also convicts us of our sin.

But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. John 16:7-11

And one of my favorites, by His power we abound in hope.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13

The Bible has a lot more to say about the Holy Spirit - this just scratches the surface. But my prayer for you today is that you will take some time to meditate on, and rejoice over, the work of the Spirit in your life, and that You will abound in hope as you grow to trust Him more.

Dwell in Me, O Blessed Spirit
Words by Fanny Crosby

Dwell in me, O blessed Spirit,
How I need Thy help divine!
In the way of life eternal,
Keep, oh, keep this heart of mine.

Refrain
Dwell in me, oh, dwell in me;
Hear and grant my prayer to Thee;
Spirit, now from Heav’n descending,
Come, oh, come and dwell in me.

Let me feel Thy sacred presence;
Then my faith will ne’er decline;
Comfort Thou and help me onward,
Fill with love this heart of mine.

Round the cross where Thou hast led me,
Let my purest feelings twine;
With the blood from sin that cleansed me,
Seal anew this heart of mine.

Dwell in me, O blessed Spirit,
Gracious Teacher, Friend divine,
For the home of bliss that waits me
O prepare this heart of mine.

No comments: