Saturday, January 22, 2011

Firm on the Rock I Stand

He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, and He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. Psalm 40:2

We just returned from an amazing vacation that left me breathless pondering God's creation. (More posts on that theme later!) To see one of the spectacular sights that we had planned to see, we took a very long boat ride, followed by a long, strenuous and treacherous hike through a rain forest.

This was no regular hike. It was a combination of balance beam walking, rock climbing, and tree-root navigating in order to reach our destination. I had to keep my eyes peeled on the ground so I could determine where my next step was going to be. If I didn't step carefully, I knew I could end up with a sprained ankle, or worse!

But as for me, my feet came close to stumbling, my steps had almost slipped. Psalm 73:2

As I concentrated on where I would step next, I couldn't help but recite over and over, the last part of Psalm 40:2, He set my feet upon a rock, making my footsteps firm.

I prayed that God would guide my footsteps and keep me on this solid footing to avoid injury. This experience was a very literal one regarding firm footsteps, rocks, and solid footing. But it has made me think more about what it means to be on a solid footing in every aspect of my life. I desire to follow the path that God has laid out for me; to not slip off His safe path and into unknown danger, whether it's because of my carelessness or my outright disobedience. I want to say with the Psalmist,

My steps have held fast to Your paths. My feet have not slipped. Psalm 17:5

You enlarge my steps under me, and my feet have not slipped.
Psalm 18:36

I want to stand firm on the rock, held by His mighty hand. I don't want to fall into the mire or slip off the steady foundation that He has provided. God has rescued my soul from death and my feet from stumbling when He saved me from my sin. I want to walk in the land of the living before the Lord, to follow the path He has created for me and to stand firmly on the Rock - my Savior, Jesus Christ!

Return to your rest, O my soul, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you. For You have rescued my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling. I shall walk before the LORD in the land of the living. Psalm 116:7-9

Firm on the Rock I Stand
Words by Fanny Crosby

Firm on the Rock I stand, Jesus, my Lord,
Held by Thy mighty hand, Jesus, my Lord.
Filled with Thy love divine, O what a joy is mine!
I am a child of Thine, Jesus, my Lord.

Refrain
Jesus, my Lord, Jesus, my Lord,
I am a child of Thine, Jesus, my Lord.

Thou art my constant Guest, Jesus, my Lord;
Safe in Thy fold I rest, Jesus, my Lord.
What though a cross I bear? Bright is the pearl I wear,
Life in Thy life I share, Jesus, my Lord.

Soon o’er the swelling tide, Jesus, my Lord,
Home on the other side, Jesus, my Lord,
I shall awake with Thee, Thine through eternity,
Thou that hast died for me, Jesus, my Lord.

No comments: