Tuesday, December 7, 2010

If Thou Has Known Him

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16

This hymn reminds us that if you know Him, love Him and trust Him boldly, He will receive you, heal you and forgive you. What does it mean to trust Him boldly?

I think it means to revere His word more than man's, and to rely on Him for protection.

In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me? Psalm 56:4

It means to put more stock in what He says than what you feel or know.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

It means to recognize that He alone is your source of salvation.

It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all. I Timothy 1:15

Preserve my soul, for I am a godly man; O You my God, save Your servant who trusts in You. Psalm 86:2

It means to be steadfast, even when you're alone.

But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD, I say, "You are my God." Psalm 31:14

I pray that You will place your trust in Christ Jesus today. That you will not be ashamed of the gospel, but that you will boldly love and trust God and be received by Him. In Him alone there is forgiveness and healing. To God be the glory!

Once He Came in Blessing
Words by Johann Roh

Once He came in blessing,
All our ills redressing,
Came in likeness lowly,
Son of God most holy;
Bore the cross to save us,
Hope and freedom gave us.


Still He comes within us,
Still His voice would win us
From the sins that hurt us;
Would to truth convert us
From our foolish errors,
Ere He comes in terrors.


Thus if Thou hast known Him,
Not ashamed to own Him,
Nor dost love Him coldly,
But will trust Him boldly,
He will now receive thee,
Heal thee, and forgive thee.

He who well endureth,
Bright reward secureth;
Come, then, O Lord Jesus,
From our sins release us;
Let us here confess Thee,
Till in Heav’n we bless Thee.

No comments: