Thursday, October 7, 2010

Commit thy Way

Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it. Psalm 37:5

Sometimes, when we're not sure how the Lord is working in our lives, we have to simply surrender and obey. I say simply but unfortunately, for most of us, it's not easy. Surrendering, giving up our control, is very difficult. However, God calls us to it - to trust in Him and follow His leading, wherever He takes us.

How do we know what way He has for us? He tells us in His word.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119:5

The Bible has everything we need for life and godliness. What a gift to have God's guidebook available to us at all times!

You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
Psalm 16:11

His path IS all we need - and He guides us along it with His tender mercy. Because of His great love for us, and the grace He shows us every day, we can be confident that our faith and trust is well-placed in Him, even when we don't understand the what He is calling us to, or when He doesn't deliver us within our own prescribed time frame.

Sometimes obeying God is a matter of the will. I must choose to obey and commit my way to following Him even when I don't see what's around the corner. That's when it's especially important to obey and follow - because I know He is leading - He's in front of me, gently guiding me along this journey; through the struggles, blessings, disappointments, times of joy and challenges - He is using all the things He's leading me through to sanctify me and make me more into the image of His beloved Son.

I hope that as I walk, I will commit my way to Him, that I can say with Job,

"But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold. My foot has held fast to His path; I have kept His way and not turned aside. I have not departed from the command of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food." Job 23:10-12


Commit Thy Way
Words by Charles Barnes

Commit thy way, and day by day,
The Lord shall lead.
And He shall trace, with tender grace,
Thy path— 'tis all we need.
For love shall crown,
Shall crown our life indeed.

Commit thy way; our hearts obey,
And God doth lead;
And at the last shall bring to pass
All that the heart shall plead.
For love has crowned,
Has crowned our life indeed.

No comments: