Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light

Come, house of Jacob, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.
Isaiah 2:5

As I wrote earlier about Jesus being the light of the world, I was thinking about this hymn and my desire to walk as a child of the light. What does it mean to walk as a child of the light? This hymn tells me it means to follow Jesus. That led me to the Scripture to see what is says about walking as a child of the Light.

Therefore do not be partakers with them [the sons of disobedience]; for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. Ephesians 5:7-12

Paul tells us that we are to walk in all goodness, righteousness and truth as we try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. This theme is repeated in Paul's epistles. One of my favorite passages in Scripture is this prayer that Paul has prayed for the people at Colossae, that they will please the Lord in everything they do.

For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light. Colossians 1:9-12

And look what Proverbs tells us: there is great reward in doing what is pleasing to Him!

When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. Proverbs 16:7

When I am walking as a child of the Light, when the Star of my life is Jesus, He guides me in His will and doing what He requires.

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8

Of course, our ultimate reward for walking as children of light comes when we see Jesus face to face! When we have run the race here on Earth and God calls us to our heavenly home, we will live with Jesus for eternity. Let us stay focused on that day as we walk in all righteousness, learning what is pleasing to Him!

"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Revelation 22:12-13

I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light
Words by Kathleen Thomerson

I want to walk as a child of the Light
I want to follow Jesus
God set the stars To give light to the world
The Star of my life is Jesus.

Refrain
In Him there is no darkness at all
The night and the day are both alike
The lamb is the Light of the city of God
Shine in my heart Lord Jesus.

I want to see the Brightness of God
I want to look at Jesus
Clear Son of righteousness shine on my path
And show me the way to the Father.

I'm looking for the coming of Christ
I want to be with Jesus
When we have run, with patience, the race
We shall know the joy of Jesus.

No comments: