Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Waited for the Lord my God

Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay. Psalm 40:17

There are seasons in our lives when the Lord calls us to wait. Waiting is hard. Waiting patiently is even harder. We are "programmed", at least in this day and age, to want things and answers right here and right now, this minute. The age of the internet and news 24/7, on demand, has taken away our sense of patience and waiting (at least for me personally).

I've been thinking a lot about some of the Old Testament stories and the waiting that had to be done by these pillars of our faith. Abraham was promised by God that he would be the father of nations. And then he waited many, many years until his only son was born. Moses and the Israelites were promised their own land, and they waited, and wandered, 40 years in the wilderness. Joseph prospered under the Lord's guidance, but he still had to wait out his time in prison (after he was wrongly put in prison!) for several years until the Lord rescued him.

As I think about these stories, I also think about what was accomplished in the waiting. God used these times to increase His people's faith, to test their obedience, to give them special gifts and opportunities to proclaim their devotion to the One True God. The waiting was not in vain.

What are you waiting for? Is there a prayer unanswered in your life? What are you learning during this time of waiting?

Most importantly, how can you use this time of waiting to bring glory to God? The Psalmist says,

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:3

How can you praise God in the midst of this waiting? I know that in my situation, I want to bring all the glory to God, so that others will see and put their trust in the Lord. I want my waiting to be a demonstration to both unbelievers and believers of my unwavering faith in my Deliverer. I hope that living out this belief, especially in this time of waiting, will cause others to take notice, and ultimately, put their faith in the Lord, the One who will hear my cry and put my feet on solid ground!

I waited patiently for the LORD; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40:1-2


I Waited for the Lord my God
Words from the Psalter

I waited for the Lord my God,
Yea, patiently drew near,
And He at length inclined to me,
My pleading cry to hear.

He took me from destruction’s pit,
From out the miry clay;
He set my feet upon a rock,
And steadfast made my way.

A new and joyful song of praise
My thankful heart He taught,
A song of glory to our God
For all that He has wrought.

And many who behold how good
The Lord has been to me
Shall learn to fear, and in His Name
Their trust shall henceforth be.

No comments: