Wednesday, May 6, 2009

All That I Am I Owe to Thee

As we continue in Psalm 139, we see God as Creator, Sustainer and Righteous Judge.

For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb. Psalm 139:13

I continue to be amazed by the human body. How all the parts, large and small, work together. From the cones in our eyes to the organs that convert food we eat to energy, all the parts function together perfectly! What a design! God the Creator formed each of us, and wove us together in such a way that each one of us is truly unique. What a Creator!

I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.
Psalm 139:14

Take a moment just to give God the glory and the praise for making YOU so fearfully and wonderfully.

As Paul reminds us in Romans, even those who don't know God cannot deny that there is a God because they have seen His handiwork in the things He has made, including each of us!

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. Romans 1:20

My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Psalm 139:15

Even before each of us were created, God knew our frame. What love! God knew us before He even made us.

Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them. Psalm 139:16

Not only did He know us, but He knew the plans He had for us! Before any of us were even woven together in our mothers' wombs, God had all our days already written in His book! This is so encouraging to me. God has the plan for my life. I cannot see what it is as of yet, but He knows, and He has known from before I was born. Nothing that is happening to me is a surprise to me, and He is using it to sanctify me, and make me more into the image of His son.

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. When I awake, I am still with You. Psalm 139:17-18

God's thoughts are precious to me! I find them in His word and through my relationship with Him in prayer. His thoughts are higher and deeper than mine, and the vastness of them is incomprehensible.

O that You would slay the wicked, O God; depart from me, therefore, men of bloodshed. For they speak against You wickedly, and Your enemies take Your name in vain. Do I not hate those who hate You, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with the utmost hatred; they have become my enemies. Psalm 139:19-22

We need to trust God as the righteous judge to deal with our enemies. When we trust Him with all our heart, He will scatter our enemies and put our feet on solid ground.

Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered, and let those who hate Him flee before Him. Psalm 68:1

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way. Psalm 139:23-24

The Lord wants us to trust Him and turn over our anxious thoughts to Him. He will protect us and will never leave us or forsake us. These last two verses are an invitation to Him - as we've seen, God already knows us, He has known us from before we were made. But it is our joy and privelege to invite Him to search us and know our hearts, and to be the leader in guiding us in the everlasting way.

Almighty God and Loving Father,
I thank You for being my creator, for knowing me from the beginning of time, and for knowing everything about me, including each day of my life. I ask that You would search my heart and show me any hurtful way that is in me, that I might confess and seek Your abundant forgiveness. I ask that You lead me in the everlasting way, that You might have Your way with me, that I would know and do Your will.
In Your powerful name,
Amen.

All That I Am I Owe to Thee
from the Psalter

All that I am I owe to Thee,
Thy wisdom, Lord, has fashioned me;
I give my Maker thankful praise,
Whose wondrous works my soul amaze.

Ere into being I was brought,
Thine eye did see, and in Thy thought
My life in all its perfect plan
Was ordered ere my days began.

Thy thoughts, O God, how manifold,
More precious unto me than gold!
I muse on their infinity,
Awaking I am still with Thee.

The wicked Thou shalt surely slay,
From me let sinners turn away;
They speak against the Name divine,
I count God’s enemies as mine.

Search me, O God, my heart discern,
Try me, my inmost thought to learn;
And lead me, if in sin I stray,
To choose the everlasting way.

No comments: