Friday, August 22, 2008

I Stand Amazed

And I pray that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19

It’s almost too much for me to think about how much God loves me. It’s a depth of love that I can not comprehend. A love that sent His own son to die in my place. I truly stand amazed. Further, He loves me as I am – a sinner, unclean – it is in this state that He gave up His Son for me.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

And then I think about Jesus in the Garden – praying that this cup would be taken from him – but ultimately praying that God’s will, not Jesus’ be done. Jesus loved me so much that He obeyed His Father and went to the cross.

Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Phil. 2:8

He took my sin, my shame, my burdens – and He put them on Himself. I was supposed to die in my sin, but He died so that I could live.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

Because of His gift, I will see His face when I enter heaven, and will sing His praise through the ages. Indeed, it is, and will forever be MY JOY to sing of His love for me.

For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8:38-39


I Stand Amazed
Words by Charles Gabriel

I stand amazed in the presence
Of Jesus the Nazarene,
And wonder how He could love me,
A sinner, condemned, unclean.

Refrain

How marvelous! How wonderful!
And my song shall ever be:
How marvelous! How wonderful!
Is my Savior’s love for me!

For me it was in the garden
He prayed: “Not My will, but Thine.”
He had no tears for His own griefs,
But sweat drops of blood for mine.

He took my sins and my sorrows,
He made them His very own;
He bore the burden to Calvary,
And suffered and died alone.

When with the ransomed in glory
His face I at last shall see,
’Twill be my joy through the ages
To sing of His love for me.

1 comment:

Erin said...

This is something that I struggle to comprehend as well. It is an overwhelming love.

Thanks for sharing the Romans verses with this. Beautiful.