Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Glory of the Spring How Sweet!

For behold, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers have already appeared in the land; the time has arrived for pruning the vines, and the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land. Song of Solomon 2:11-12

Spring has (finally) sprung in my neighborhood, and it is a sweet reminder of God’s faithfulness through the seasons, and His beauty in creation. I love watching the trees bud and then flower, the tulips and daffodils pop up out of the earth. The sun shines, the grass is green, and the birds sing.

Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders which You have done, and Your thoughts toward us; there is none to compare with You. If I would declare and speak of them, they would be too numerous to count.
Psalm 40:5

Our God delights in delighting us with the beauty of changing seasons. His wonders are too numerous to count. As I walk around my neighborhood, I am amazed by His creativity in nature. And I am thankful that He chose to bless us with an incredible variety of plants, flowers, animals and weather!

I will give thanks to the LORD with all my heart; I will tell of all Your wonders. I will be glad and exult in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High. Psalm 9:1-2

My prayer is the same as this writer’s. After observing the wonders of God, of nature, of His grace, I ask that God would work wonders in me, and renew my heart. Just as we see evidence of new life in nature, I want the new life, strength and joy I have through Jesus to spring up within me for all the world to see.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10

But as for me, I would seek God, and I would place my cause before God; Who does great and unsearchable things, wonders without number. Job 5:8-9

The Glory of the Spring How Sweet!
Words by Thomas H. Gill

The glory of the spring how sweet!
The new-born life how glad!
What joy the happy earth to greet
In new, bright raiment clad!

Divine Redeemer, Thee I bless;
I greet Thy going forth;
I love Thee in the loveliness
Of Thy renewed earth.

But O these wonders of Thy grace,
These nobler works of Thine,
These marvels sweeter far to trace,
These new births more divine:

This new-born glow of faith so strong,
This bloom of love so fair,
This new-born ecstasy of song,
And fragrancy of prayer!

Creator Spirit, work in me
These wonders sweet of Thine;
Divine Redeemer, graciously
Renew this heart of mine.

Still let new life and strength upspring,
Still let new joy be given;
And grant the glad new song to ring
Through the new earth and Heaven.

No comments: