Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Shepherd Will Supply My Need

Words by Isaac Watts

My Shepherd will supply my need:
Jehovah is His Name;
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wandering spirit back
When I forsake His ways,
And leads me, for His mercy’s sake,
In paths of truth and grace.

When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay;
One word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand, in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.

The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days;
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come;
No more a stranger, nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

This beautiful rendering of Psalm 23 helps us think about this well-known Psalm in a new way. Many of us could recite this Psalm easily, but do we really understand what it means? Most of us are not acquainted with the work of shepherds or what it means to herd sheep as that is not a common employment opportunity in our time, certainly not to the extent it was in Biblical times.

A good shepherd will provide for all the needs of his sheep, including food, water, safety and health. Psalm 23 and this hymn tell us that the Lord, as our shepherd, provides all these things for us.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1

He brings us to fresh pastures (food and rest) and living streams (water). Sheep need a fresh pasture for two things: food and rest. Sheep are creatures of habit, and if left to themselves, will graze the same land over and over again. They need a shepherd to lead them to fresh grazing areas. Also, if sheep are in an area with many hollow spots, they can easily fall down, end up on their backs, and not be able to get up again. Without a shepherd to help them get up, they panic and often die. They need to be led to fresh pastures.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. Psalm 23:2

Sheep need guidance. Without it, they will go the wrong way, unaware of danger. The shepherd must show the sheep the right path.

He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Psalm 23:3

The shepherd protects the sheep and ensures their safety. Sheep are fearful creatures and are easily frightened. When they are frightened, they run, often into danger. The shepherd knows his sheep, and can sense when they are fearful. He prevents them from running by quiely moving among the sheep, reassuring them of his presence. When sheep know their shepherd is with them, their fear is replaced by trust.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for Thou art with me. Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

The shepherd goes before his sheep and prepares a place for them that is, among other things, healthy. Sheep are oblivious animals, and can eat or drink things that are distastrous to them. The shepherd goes before them, and prepares a table, or mesa, for their grazing. The shepherd must be sure that the table has no poisonous plants, that there is plentiful food and that there is adequate water.

Thou dost prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; Thou has anointed my head with oil; my cup overflows. Psalm 23:5

Finally, if we are the sheep of the Father’s hand, and He is our shepherd, we have His promise that we will live forever with Him.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23:6

This is my favorite phrase of this hymn– no more a stranger, nor a guest, but like a child at home. We belong to the Great Shepherd, and we will dwell with Him forever. We will not be strangers or guests, we will be like children at home!

How do children act when they’re at home? Totally comfortable and secure. Quite different than being a guest at someone else’s house. As a child, you probably understood that there was a bit of different requirement when you were to be a guest at someone else’s house. Your parents may have even told you to be on your best behavior. They probably didn’t admonish you with that nearly as much as when you were at home. There’s a difference.

And when we dwell in the house of the Lord forever, we’ll be at home. Like a child at home, totally secure in our Father’s love and care for us.

So we Your people and the sheep of Your pasture will give thanks to You forever; to all generations we will tell of Your praise.
Psalm 79:13


*facts about sheep from A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller.

3 comments:

*carrie* said...

Sara,

Thanks for your comment on my blog. That's great you can recycle so much. We can only do plastics 1-4--my big thing is hoping that everyone will do the best they can, and take a step towards doing more. It all adds up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,I have read through a few of your posts so far. I think you are doing a wonderful job. My friend introduced me to your blog recently. Coincidently, we actually have the same template! hahaha :) Anws, I think our blogging styles are really similar. Please keep up the good work! To God be all glory!!
p.s you can check me up at http://bloodforfreedom.blogspot.com

wld really love if you cld link me up? i wld love to link you too! :D
God Bless! :)

Anonymous said...

by the time i have sung this hymn and arrived at the final lines, i always have a tear to shed. oh to be a child at home someday, and be comforted by our father in heaven. what a day of rejoicing that will be!