Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Jesus what a Friend for Sinners

Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

I find great comfort and encouragement in the notion that Jesus is my friend – even though I am a sinner, He loves me and forgives me and is a constant presence in my life. As this hymn says, friends (earthly friends) can fail – but Jesus makes me whole.

I love this hymn because it so plainly states who Jesus is and what He does for us. He is our friend, our strength, our help, our guide, and our keeper. Even when we fail, He wins the victory for us.

Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. I Cor. 15:57

John reminds us that we have victory that has overcome the world!– think about that next time you are tempted, tried and sometimes failing.

For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world--our faith. I John 5:4

Jesus is indeed our Comforter. He has promised that we will face suffering, but Paul reminds us that we also have comfort – abundant comfort through Him.

For just as the sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also our comfort is abundant through Christ. II Cor 1:5

I often find comfort in the Word. The Bible is overflowing with God’s promises that bring comfort and encouragement. I relate to King David:

This is my comfort in my affliction, that Your word has revived me. Psalm 119:50

Another way we are comforted is through the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit comes to dwell in each of us once we proclaim Jesus as our Savior. The Holy Spirit is our comforter and our guide. Jesus promised this:

“But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.” John 16:13

Jesus is truly my all in all. As this hymn says, MORE than all in Him I find. I rejoice and thank God that He provided Jesus to die for my sins, forgive me, and be my friend. I am His, and He is mine.

Jesus! What a Friend for Sinners
J. Wilbur Chapman

Jesus! what a Friend for sinners!
Jesus! Lover of my soul;
Friends may fail me, foes assail me,
He, my Savior, makes me whole.

Refrain
Hallelujah! what a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving,
He is with me to the end.

Jesus! what a Strength in weakness!
Let me hide myself in Him.
Tempted, tried, and sometimes failing,
He, my Strength, my victory wins.

Jesus! what a Help in sorrow!
While the billows over me roll,
Even when my heart is breaking,
He, my Comfort, helps my soul.

Jesus! what a Guide and Keeper!
While the tempest still is high,
Storms about me, night overtakes me,
He, my Pilot, hears my cry.

Jesus! I do now receive Him,
More than all in Him I find.
He hath granted me forgiveness,
I am His, and He is mine.

1 comment:

Susanna said...

Scripture is indeed full of exceedingly wonderful promises- and yet I know that so often I fail to take them for my own and plead them before the throne of grace.