Tuesday, March 13, 2007

When Morning Gilds the Skies

O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. I Chron 16:34

When Morning Gilds the Skies
Words from the Katholisches Gesangbuch translated by Edward Caswall and Robert S. Bridges

When morning gilds the skies my heart awaking cries:
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Alike at work and prayer, to Jesus I repair:
May Jesus Christ be praised!

But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning… Psalm 59:16

May Jesus Christ be praised! Do you start your day singing of His lovingkindness in the morning? Or is it all you can do to stumble out of bed and get through the morning without grumbling? I try (as consciously as possible) to start the day with a prayer of thanks before even getting out of bed, or at least soon after. It sets the tone for the day and keeps me focused on Christ.

It is good to give thanks to the LORD and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning and Your faithfulness by night… Psalm 92:1-2

When you begin the day, O never fail to say,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
And at your work rejoice, to sing with heart and voice,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

Do you rejoice at your work? At some times in my recent past, I have really needed an attitude adjustment in this area. It isn’t easy to have an attitude of praise when you are suffering, and sometimes our work is not pleasant. These words from Paul to the Colossians are a good reminder about where our focus should be, especially when we’re dealing with unpleasant tasks or people in our work at home, at church, or in the marketplace.

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Colossians 3:23-24

Do your work as for the Lord rather than men. Even when you don’t like it, aren’t happy, and are being treated unfairly. The good news is, we can go to our Heavenly Father with our frustration and He will hear us when we pray. In the morning, and at other times, He waits for us to come to Him with our groaning and cry for help.

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my groaning. Heed the sound of my cry for help, my King and my God, for to You I pray. In the morning, O LORD, You will hear my voice; in the morning I will order my prayer to You and eagerly watch. Psalm 5:1-3

Whene’er the sweet church bell peals over hill and dell,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
O hark to what it sings, as joyously it rings,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

My tongue shall never tire of chanting with the choir,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
This song of sacred joy, it never seems to cloy,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

I just love singing with other believers, hearing our voices raised together in praise. And think about what it will be like in heaven – all the saints, gathered around the throne. John’s revelation gives us a wonderful picture of what it will be like – the sound of many waters and the sound of mighty peals of thunder! I get chills just thinking about it.

And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God who sits on the throne saying, "Amen Hallelujah!" And a voice came from the throne, saying, "Give praise to our God, all you His bond-servants, you who fear Him, the small and the great." Then I heard something like the voice of a great multitude and like the sound of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, saying, "Hallelujah! For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns.” Rev 19:4-6

This hymn has 15 verses and we’ve looked at just four today. Over the next several days we’ll look at the rest of the 11 verses. Meanwhile, I challenge you to do as this hymn instructs, and when morning gilds the skies, I hope your heart awakening cries, “May Jesus Christ be praised!”

No comments: