Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Solid Rock

This is a hymn that I find myself singing in my head regularly. So often we sing hymns and songs without even thinking about the truth within them – I know this was the case for me, personally, with this hymn, for a long time. It is only when “all around my soul gives way” that we come to realize we really have no one else but Jesus.

Psalm 73:25-26
Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

I have found that it doesn't cut it to trust in the other “frames” in my life. What frame are you trusting in today? More often than not, I trust in myself. And I can’t be trusted. I can’t do it on my own – and the more I try, the bigger the mess I create!

Instead of trusting in myself, I need to build my hope on Him and rest in His unchanging grace. I love the encouragement from the writer of Hebrews 4, “Therefore, let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

There are so many scriptural truths in this hymn. I could go on and on. Praise God that our anchor holds with Christ –He is indeed the Solid Rock.

Psalm 18:2
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

The Solid Rock
by Edward Mote

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

Refrain
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

No comments: