Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne

When we stop to really think about the Christmas story, it is quite incredible. Jesus, a king, left His perfect throne in heaven to come to Earth as a baby in order to ultimately save us from death and eternal separation from God. He left His kingly crown FOR ME. And when it was time for Him to be born, he wasn’t even born in a palace or even a modest home, he was born in a BARN or more likely, a cave, and put in a manger, a trough!

And she gave birth to her firstborn son; and she wrapped Him in cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. Luke 2:7

Talk about humility. God took on human form, humbling Himself, becoming like men even though he was fully God, so that He could grow up and taste death for everyone.

But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone. Hebrews 2:9

Paul challenges us in his letter to the Philippians to have this same humility.

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Phil 2:5-8

Jesus obeyed God even to the point of death. Paul’s letter goes on to exhort us to all things without grumbling or complaining. I know I fall short of that on a regular basis. Jesus is our example. He humbled Himself, becoming obedient to the point of death. In comparison, we don’t have much to grumble about…

This beautiful Christmas carol tells the story well. After each verse we have the opportunity to confirm our willingness for the Lord to dwell in us: “O come to my heart Lord Jesus. There is room in my heart for Thee.” In the last verse we see what we can look forward to in glory: God’s voice calling us home saying “There is room at My side for thee.”

Together, let’s live with the humility of Christ as we look forward to His victorious coming.

Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne
Words by Emily E. Elliott

Thou didst leave Thy throne and Thy kingly crown,
When Thou camest to earth for me;
But in Bethlehem’s home was there found no room
For Thy holy nativity.
O come to my heart, Lord Jesus,
There is room in my heart for Thee.

Heaven’s arches rang when the angels sang,
Proclaiming Thy royal degree;
But of lowly birth didst Thou come to earth,
And in great humility.
O come to my heart, Lord Jesus,
There is room in my heart for Thee.

The foxes found rest, and the birds their nest
In the shade of the forest tree;
But Thy couch was the sod, O Thou Son of God,
In the deserts of Galilee.
O come to my heart, Lord Jesus,
There is room in my heart for Thee.

Thou camest, O Lord, with the living Word,
That should set Thy people free;
But with mocking scorn and with crown of thorn,
They bore Thee to Calvary.
O come to my heart, Lord Jesus,
There is room in my heart for Thee.

When the heav’ns shall ring, and her choirs shall sing,
At Thy coming to victory,
Let Thy voice call me home, saying “Yet there is room,
There is room at My side for thee.”
My heart shall rejoice, Lord Jesus,
When Thou comest and callest for me.

No comments: